A crowning achievement in restoration of a Hell's Kitchen telephone building.
- Property Type:
- Construction Type:
- Year Built:
Built 1930, Restored 2014
- Square Footage:
- Number of Units:
Designed in 1927 by pre-eminent Art Deco architect Ralph Walker, Stella Tower is the conversion and historic restoration of a telephone building into fifty-one luxury residences. Stella Tower’s ornamentation, handcrafted brick facade, entryway, terrazzo lobby floor, and remarkable winged crown have been carefully restored to reflect the brilliance of Ralph Walker’s masterpieces.
Through careful study of archival drawings and photographs, the crown once again stands prominently in Hell’s Kitchen. The painstaking process produced forty-eight new pieces cast from twenty-two wood molds (negatives) to restore the crown. Each piece, from start to finish, took sixteen hours to cast and set before dramatically sailing into the air atop the building, to its final place.
Wherever possible, original Art Deco details were restored and refinished in Stella Tower's entry experience. The lobby, a hybrid restoration and rejuvenation, providing a jazzy “welcome home”. The restoration was beautifully paired with Jarvis Studio’s vision:, chevron-set onyx in varying hues of white and brown, sugar-white marble, antiqued bronze metal trims, double-ringed chandelier inspired by Gaetano Sciolari’s atomic fixtures of the 1950s.
There are views of the Hudson River and the Time Warner Center, and for at least one penthouse, truly jaw-dropping terrace space--suitable for rock stars.
- Ceiling heights from 10’ to nearly 14’ high
- Custom paneled solid 8’ tall oak doors with custom door hardware
- Custom hand-laid oak flooring
- Fine custom millwork in each residence
- Custom oversized tilt-and-turn windows
- Nanz hardware throughout each residence
- Custom lighting package designed by Buro Happold
- Many residences offer private outdoor space
- Wood-burning fireplaces with solid marble enclosures in select residences
- Nest Learning Thermostat in each residence
- Premium central air conditioning system
Bathrooms throughout the building are outfitted with steam showers, stylish industrial sinks and mirrors that roll laterally along tracks, like mining carts.
- 24-hour attended lobby
- Fitness center
- Residents’ lounge with pantry and bar
- Outdoor garden lounge
- Bicycle storage room
- Temperature controlled grocery storage